5 years ago
September 15, 2016
Frazee Police Chief Tyler Trieglaff reported the department responded to 109 calls in August which was comparable to 112 last August. He added that the number of total calls for the year were at 990. After the initial 30-day probationary period as police chief, Trieglaff officially accepted the position.
The Frazee City Council approved an almost 7 percent increase for its preliminary tax levy at its monthly meeting, on Monday, September 12. The tax levy may decrease before being finalized in December.
The city of Vergas purchased 19 acres at 310 West Lake Street in Vergas for $33,290 at a land auction Thursday, September 8. An emergency council meeting was called the day prior to the land auction for property previously owned by Todd Bunkowski, who is deceased. The city purchased the land with plans to widen West Lake Street and easements would be needed on that parcel to make the improvements.
25 years ago
September 12, 1996
Dirt work started Monday on the 12-unit apartment complex on West Maple Avenue. The apartment project is spearheaded by lynn fundingsland, executive director of becker county housing and redevelopment authority. It will be located west of Frazee Care Center in Lakeview Terrace Addition.
During an informal inspection of the Main Avenue dam in Frazee, DNR Hydrologist Bob Merritt, Detroit Lakes, noted a new problem with the structure. A possible hole has developed under the dam, which was noted by a large area of water bursting upwards about five feet in front of the spillway. The City of Frazee received official DNR notification on Sept. 20, 1994 that the dam would either have to be repaired or removed due to the disrepair of the dam. The city is looking at all options to remove the dam at this point and time.
50 years ago
September 16, 1971
The Burlington Cubs 4-H Club was saddened this past Saturday when vandals again demolished their park on Friday evening. Of the four tables taken out this spring, one was carried away the next day and Friday evening the rest were smashed to bits. The fireplace was damaged, the register box torn up from the ground, the toilet damaged, and this doesn’t include the other things done this summer. A $50 reward for information leading to the arrest of these vandals is offered by the Burlington Town Board.
An open gas line, which formerly had been connected to a water heater, was determined the cause of an explosion which injured Pat Shannon, formerly of Frazee and Jim Kraemer near Perham. Neither reported smelling gas when Shannon went to the basement of the house and flipped on the water pump. The arc from the switch or motor is believed to have set off the explosion. Both men are reported out of danger, but Shannon received burns over most of his body and will be hospitalized several months.