SCHOOL BOARD MINUTES
May 9, 2022
BOARD OF EDUCATION
FRAZEE-VERGAS PUBLIC SCHOOLS ISD #23
The Regular Meeting of the School Board of Frazee-Vergas Independent School District #23 was called to order by Chair Thaddeus Helmers on Monday, May 9, 2022, 6:00 p.m., in the High School Media Center. Members in attendance: Tyler Trieglaff, Daneele Shipman, Nathan Matejka, Thaddeus Helmers, Kimberly Antonsen and Michael Frank. Tammie Nunn was absent.
Administrators present: Superintendent Terry Karger, Business Manager Chrissy Clapsaddle, Activities Director/Assistant Principal Nick Courneya and Executive Assistant Stacey Foss. High School Principal Anna Potvin was in the audience.
11 guests were present.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Adoption of the Agenda
Antonsen made the motion to adopt the agenda as presented, Shipman seconded, motion carried.
Retirement Recognition of 3) Certified Staff Members – Board Chair Helmers presented plaques to:
Brian Tangen, Business Education Teacher, 31 years
Doug Schwarzrock, Vocational Ag Teacher-22 years and Science Teacher-15 years – 37 years total
Karrie Schultz, School Readiness/ECFE Coordinator, 31 years was unable to attend.
• Winter Activities Report – Mr. Courneya reviewed the following activities:
• Boys Basketball
• Girls Basketball
• Knowledge Bowl
and thanked Anderson Bus Company
Superintendent Report – Karger
• Student Council members: Harley Kropuenske, Jayden Keeping, Kiley Karger, Skylure Lehman and Minnesota Honor Society member McKenzie Wake were present to share a power point presentation: The Decoration of Graduation Caps. The School Board didn’t have any objection to their request, just to make sure the decorating was appropriate. Administration will move forward with their request.
• Demolition has started on the Outdoor Sites projects
• Summer Hours: Custodial – 4) 10/hour days, Monday-Thursday, May 30 through September 2, 2022 Offices – District, High School & Elementary- 4) 10/hour days, Monday-Thursday, May 30 through September 2, 2022. Offices will be open 6:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
Citizen & Delegation Requests
• McKenzie Wake addressed the School Board regarding graduation speakers – her proposal was to have 5 speakers with 3 minute speeches instead of 3 speakers with 5 minute speeches
Motion by Trieglaff, to approve the consent agenda as presented, seconded by Matejka, motion carried.
Consent Agenda included the following items:
• Approved the adoption of the minutes from the Regular School Board Meeting on April 11, 2022
• Approved the Treasurer’s Report
• Approved the Check Summary
• Approved the Resignation of the Elementary Music/ 7-12 Choir Director, Amber Sazama, effective at the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
• Approved the Resignation of a Musical Director, Amber Sazama, effective at the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
• Approved the Resignation of a High School English Teacher, Rachel Safar, effective at the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
• Approved the Resignation of Minnesota Honor Society Adviser, Rachel Safar, effective at the end of the 2021- 2022 school year.
• Approved the Resignation of a Food Service Worker, Carol Ohlerking, effective April 21, 2022.
• Approved the Resignation of a Junior High Football Coach, Ryan Vigen, effective immediately.
• Approved the Resignation of an Assistant Girls Basketball Coach, Julie Karger, effective immediately.
• Approved the Resignation of a Junior High Volleyball Coach, Nancy Moore, effective immediately.
• Approved Hiring Summer Cleaners, Melanie Erickson, Step 5 @ $16.62/hour and Carey Alger, Step 5 @ $16.62/hour, Monday through Thursday, 6am – 4:30pm, beginning May 31, 2022.
• Approved a Correction to the Step of a Junior High Baseball Coach, Broden Fleisher, Step O to Step 1, due to his past experience – Step 1 @4.5%, $1,974.
• Approved a Leave Request from a Non-Certified employee, identified as Non-Certified Employee #1 in a confidential communication to the board.
• Approved the Summer Workers Salary Schedule for Summer 2022 and Summer 2023.
• Approved the School District Enrollment Options Program Applications
• Molly Fairbanks has received from DonorsChoose.org for her “Let’s Get Rowing!” staff development project, 15 books – Row the Boat: A Never-Give-Up Approach to Lead with Enthusiasm and Optimism and Improve Your Team and Culture
• Wysan Precast Service – Hawley, Paul and Terri Nelson, donated $235.20 for transportation costs for the 6th grade trip to the Shrine Circus
• Received a check from the Fastbreak Club for $5,000 for the High School Statistics Panel
• Bell Bank’s Custom Card Donation program donated $40 for a custom Frazee-Vergas Public School District card
• A $270.24 donation for Shop Power Tools was received from Thaddeus Helmers
• MARCO made a general donation of $25 to the school district
• Sponsorship from Franklin Fence Co., Inc. of $5,000 – a 3-year advertisement commitment for the High School Scoreboard Stat Panel
Motion by Matejka, seconded by Antonsen to approve the Hornet Pride Donations, motion carried.
Consider Business Items – Action Required
Approved the School Readiness/Early Childhood Family Education Service Agreement with Freshwater Education District #6004
Motion by Antonsen, seconded by Frank, motion carried.
Approved the Letter of Engagement for the FY22 Audit from Eide Bailly, LLP for an initial fee estimate of $21,100
Matejka made the motion, seconded by Shipman, motion carried.
Approved the Capital Outlay Plan for FY23 for a total of $56,376
Motion by Matejka, seconded by Trieglaff, motion carried.
Approved an Increase of .5 FTE for a Career and Technical Education (CTE) Teaching Position
Antonsen made the motion, seconded by Matejka, motion carried 5-1 Trieglaff voted against.
Regular School Board Meeting, Monday, June 13, 2022, 6:00 p.m., High School Media Center
Antonsen made the motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Matejka, hearing no objections, meeting adjourned at 7:00 p.m.