The Minnesota Beef Expo awarded 10 heifers to deserving youth through the Minnesota Youth
Beef Experience Program (MYBEP) on Saturday, Oct. 22. From a pool of 70 applications, each recipient was selected based on their passion for agriculture, commitment to raising a heifer, financial need and willingness to learn.
Recipients are responsible for raising, breeding and maintaining records on the care of the animal, while providing progress reports to their mentor, breed representative and Minnesota Beef Expo staff. Donors of the heifers will serve as mentors to MYBEP recipients. To date, the MYBEP program has awarded 175 heifers.
The 2022 MYBEP heifer recipients are:
• Brady Mitchell of Detroit Lakes, Minn., received a South Devon heifer donated by the Sadler Cattle Company, Jim Sadler and Gail Johnson of Anoka, Minn., on behalf of the Northern States South Devon
• Taylor Wolf of Cleveland, Minn., received an Angus heifer donated by Scharpe Angus, Jim and Myrna Scharpe, Matt and Gwen Scharpe, and Katelyn Scharpe of Arlington, Minn., on behalf of the Minnesota Angus Association.
• Zachary Orthaus of Hugo, Minn., received a Charolais heifer donated by Eklund Stock Farm of
Cambridge, Minn., on behalf of the MN/WI Charolais Association.
• Aubree Paplow of Sanborn, Minn., received a Charolais heifer donated by the Minnesota/Wisconsin Charolais Association, and will be mentored by Chad Zehnder.
• Alison George of Mondovi, Wis., received a Hereford heifer donated by Neil Farms, Steve and Keely Neil and family of Northfield Minn., on behalf of the Minnesota Hereford Breeders.
• Owen Thomforde of Zumbrota, Minn., received a Red Angus heifer donated by Compeer Financial and will be mentored by Steve Pomerenke.
• Briley Olsonawski of Newfolden, Minn., received a Shorthorn heifer donated by Bayerl Family Farm, Scott, Carrie, Randilynn and Mackenzie Bayerl of Kimball, Minn., on behalf of the Minnesota Shorthorn Association.
• Connor Wilts of Kerkhoven, Minn., will received a Simmental heifer donated by Rockin H Simmentals, Matt, Holly, Taten, Maxten and Eli Hoffman of Canby, Minn., on behalf of the Minnesota Simmental Association.
• Lydia Rose of Henderson, Minn., received a Simmental heifer donated by Mueller Farms, Jim and Stacie Mueller and family of Arlington, Minn., on behalf of the Minnesota Simmental Association.
• Brenden Bryce of Lowry, Minn., received the MYBEP Symposium heifer donated by the Minnesota State Cattlemen’s Association and will be mentored by Mark Pesek.
The recipients will return to the 2023 Minnesota Beef Expo, held Oct. 19-22, to compete for the MYBEP Achievement Award through competing in the junior show, participating in showmanship, completing an interview and presenting their final record books.
For further information on the Minnesota Beef Expo and MYBEP, please contact Blaire Huneke at firstname.lastname@example.org