Five sites off limits until late May, mid-June
The following waters in the portions designated are closed to the taking of all fish during the periods specified to protect fish spawning areas, according to a press release from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
Anglers are encouraged to look for signs at access sites and in the areas as noted. All dates are inclusive.
Additional closures or openings may be posted here up to 48 hours prior to the law taking effect.
Seasonal closures help protect fish when they are concentrated in areas during their spawning season. The number of spawning area closures is highest on years when winter persists longer than normal.
Otter Tail County
• Dead River, Downstream of County Highway 14 to Walker Lake from April 15-May 31
• Jewett Lake, Southwest shore from April 15-May 31
• Toad River, Toad River Inlet to Big Pine Lake upstream to Co. Rd. 13 from April 15-May 31
• Lake Maud, Southwest Bay from May 9-June 11
• Pelican River, 500 feet upstream and 500 feet downstream from Dunton Locks Bridge between Muskrat Lake and Lake Sallie from April 24- May 12
• Pelican River, Below Bucks Mill Dam to Buck Lake and from Big Detroit Lake upstream to State Highway 34 from April 24- May 12.