Bid error delays Maple Ave. Apartments rehab to next year
News | Published on September 9, 2025 at 5:22pm EDT | Author: frazeevergas
0By Robert Williams
Editor
Despite the contractor for the Maple Avenue Apartments improvement project in Frazee being already approved by the Becker County Board of Commissioners, a portion of the project was “forgotten in the estimate,” according to a report by Commissioner Erica Jepson and Economic Development Specialist Cody Piper.
“The whole project was within their estimate but not in the dollar amount,” said Jepson. “They estimated they were $60-$70,000 short.”
The approved contractor has since withdrawn their bid.
The other contractors who sent in bids on the county’s requests for proposals (RFP) had already been notified they were not awarded the bid. Hence, the county is back at square one and will have to reissue the RFP for new estimates.
The rehabilitation project includes new siding, new doors and windows, as well as new decks.
“Which means the project will likely not get done this year,” Jepson said.
The original bid approval occurred in mid-August and hopes were to complete the work before the end of 2025.
“It’s really sad about those bids on Maple Avenue because we’ve been trying for so long,” said Commissioner Richard Vareberg. “That’s very disappointing.”
“And it’s so needed,” said Jepson.
Maple Avenue Apartments have a dozen units that are income restricted. The housing project is county-owned and managed by Midwest Minnesota Community Development Corporation (MMCDC). The County EDA first approved roof and siding improvements for the complex in 2023. The roof work was first scheduled for the fall of 2023, while the siding work was initially scheduled for spring 2024.
Donations
The Disabled American Veterans Chapter 31 donated $1,500 in funds to contribute to the purchasing of new picnic tables for the new shelter at Dunton Locks County Park and/or future VFW shelter renovations at the park.
Food Pantry
President of the Board of Directors Dale Storey and Manager Liz Lilja gave the board an update on the Becker County Food Pantry.
Lilja reported that 208 new households have come to the pantry; some report that cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are causing worry that some families will not have enough food, along with cuts to the Farm to Food program.
Former free protein has been removed from the past two pantry orders. Lilja reported ground beef, instead of being free, was at $7 per pound.
July was the busiest month ever at the pantry 653 households/2,181 people. In July, the pantry gave away 51,000 pounds of food and rescued 20,000 pounds.
“That means we purchased 31,000 pounds of food,” she said. “We paid 45 cents a pound for our food and if I added our meat to it—it was 63 cents per pound. I spent around $20,000 on food in just July. It’s really growing and we’re talking about cutting back the choices that people get, the amount of food they’re getting. I don’t know how we’re going to sustain this and especially, not knowing the changes that are coming.”
Head Start
Jepson reported on a meeting with Mahube-Otwa and the non-profit’s enrollment for Head Start is currently at 90 percent for this fall.
“They’ve also submitted a change in scope for their Head Start program and if granted it will remove a couple of the family child care providers in the Mahube area and replace them with an infant and toddler center,” said Jepson. “The purpose is to meet that need for infant and toddler care in the area and one will be proposed to be in Detroit Lakes.”
The likely Detroit Lakes-based center will be at the DLCCC.
Recycling
Commissioner Phil Hansen proposed a one-week free electronics recycling program at the Becker County Transfer Stations in Detroit Lakes and Osage. A potential date for the program would be the first week of October, according to Hansen.
“Clean up our county a little bit; you feel like you’re getting something for your taxes,” said Hansen. “My goal for this is make it for a limited time, make it important, get the word out there, but not extend it forever.”
The program would allow for free drop-offs of televisions, laptops, printers, monitors and other e-waste items.
Currently, the program is in a testing mode. If successful, it could include other types of items like mattresses and box springs.
The board authorized the environmental committee to suspend the rules and prices for the regular recycling program for the first week of October. Lists of what will be allowed for drop-off and the exact dates will be announced in the near future.
Toad Mountain
Gerry Schram of Erie Township spoke against the proposed acquisition of Toad Mountain by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources during the open forum. At the last meeting in August, Commissioners approved a resolution to allow the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to proceed with a land acquisition of the Toad Mountain area with plans to turn it into a wildlife management area, according to Park Rapids DNR Area Wildlife Manager Erik Thorson.
“Dog gonnit, we’ve got just way too much public land,” Schram said. “I know if you wouldn’t have done it the thing would have rolled over us anyway. I just want you to know that’s my feelings on it.”
Schram also spoke against the potential sale of Toad Mountain to the county in October of 2024.
